Clearing your browser cache and cookies is essential to optimize website performance, ensure content stays up-to-date, and enhance privacy by erasing stored login information. However, clearing you browser data may reset customized settings and require re-entering login credentials on previously visited sites. In this guide we will go over how to clear your cache, cookies, and history for every web browser on Windows and Mac.
Edge (Windows and Mac)
1. Navigate to the three dot menu.(...) Select Settings.
2. Select Privacy, search, and services in the left navigation panel.
3. Scroll down to Clear browsing data and select Choose what to clear.
4. Check the boxes to clear cache, cookies, and browsing and download history.
5. Select Clear now.
Success! You did it. To learn more about clearing your cache in Edge, visit Microsoft Support.
Chrome (Windows and Mac)
- In the Chrome browser toolbar, click the Chrome three dot menu (...) > Settings.
2. Select Privacy and security.
3. Click Clear browsing data.
4. Check boxes to clear cache, cookies, and browsing history. Click Clear data.
To learn more about clearing your cache in Chrome, visit Google Support.
Firefox (Windows and Mac)
1. Navigate to the menu icon with three lines. Choose Settings.
2. In Settings, select Privacy and Security.
3. Scroll down until you reach Cookies and Site Data. Click Clear Data.
Note: You can also choose to Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed. This will clear your cache, history, and cookies every time Firefox is closed.
4. Check the boxes to clear cookies, cache, then press Clear.
5. Verify that you want to clear the data and click Clear now.
To learn more about clearing your cache in Firefox, visit Firefox Support.
Clear cache and cookies on Safari (Mac)
1. In the safari browser, navigate to the Safari tab at the top of your computer screen.
2. Select Privacy > Manage Website Data.
3. You can choose to Remove All cache and cookies for every website, or select individual sites and press Remove. If you want to clear all cache and cookies, click Remove All.
4. Press Done.
Clear Bowser History
1. To clear your browser history, select History > Clear History.
2. Choose the drop down menu to select a time frame for the history you want to clear.
3. Choose all history.
4. Select Clear History.
To learn more about clearing your cache in Safari, visit Apple Support.
Want to learn more about web browsers? Visit the support guides linked above for each prospective browser. Need help with something else? Contact you local IT help desk.