For the best student experience, we encourage you to use one of the two available options for integrating Turnitin with your Canvas courses.
Reasons for using the standalone Turnitin system
- If you want to use Turnitin for face-to-face classes, and are not using Canvas to supplement those classes
- If you are having difficulty with the Canvas integration for any reason
Things to keep in mind
- You will need to set up your courses in Turnitin, and provide students with the manually created course code (this is automated with the Canvas integration)
- Students will need to set up a Turnitin.com accounts, and remember a separate password from ACES/Canvas
- Assignments and grades created in Turnitin cannot be automatically sent back to Canvas
Users who use the Turnitin LTI within Canvas automatically have their Turnitin account created for them when they launch the external tool from a Canvas assignment. However, if you use Turnitin's Plagiarism Framework exclusively with your Canvas courses—or if this will be your first time accessing the Alamo Colleges' Turnitin account—you will need to create an account in order to log into Turnitin.com.
To create an account, log into any Canvas course as an instructor and create a Canvas assignment using the Turnitin LTI.
- Add a title to the "Assignment Name" field, even if you don't plan to publish or use the assignment. (Canvas will not let you implement the tool without this required setting.)
- From the "Submission Type" field, select External Tool from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Find button next to the External Tool URL field.
- A list of configured external tools will display; scroll down to Turnitin LTI and click on it. Hit Select at the bottom of the "Configure External Tool" window to add the tool the assignment.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the assignment settings page and select Save.
You do not need to Publish the newly created assignment in order to create your account with Turnitin.
Once your Turnitin profile has been created through Canvas, you will need to reset your password in order to access your newly created account within Turnitin.com.
Navigate to Turnitin.com in your web browser and select the Login button in the upper right. You will be directed to the Turnitin Login page.
- Select the Forgot your password? link towards the bottom of the Login screen.
- You will be prompted to enter the default email associated with your Canvas account (most likely your @alamo.edu address) and your last name. Click Next to proceed.
- Depending on if you had set up your Turnitin account previously, you may be presented with two options to reset your password:
- If you are prompted to answer a Security Question, provide the given answer and click Next to proceed to the Password Reset screen.
- If you cannot answer the security question, select the Forgot your answer? link. A message from Turnitin No Reply with the subject "Reset your Turnitin Password" will be sent to the email on the account, and the message will contain a secure link to reset your Turnitin.com password.
You will have 24 hours to reset your account password using the emailed link. Be sure to check your Spam, Bulk, or Junk folder if you do not receive the password reset message right away.
For further assistance with creating a Turnitin.com account or resetting your user password, contact [email protected].