Turnitin External Tool Optional Settings (within Canvas)
This method utilizes Turnitin as an External Tool in Canvas.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Turnitin integration has already been configured for all Alamo Colleges courses in Canvas. You DO NOT need to add it to the Apps tab in your course.
You will probably want to change your Optional Settings to optimize Turnitin for you and your students. Make sure the options circled in red below are set to "Yes", and choose the "Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until due date)" option.
We recommend the following optional settings:
- Allow late submissions? Yes
- Originality Report generation and resubmissions: Generate reports immediately (resubmissions are allowed until due date) option
- Exclude bibliographic materials from Similarity index for all papers in this assignment. Yes
- Exclude quoted materials from Similarity index for all papers in this assignment? Yes
- Allow students to view Originality Reports? Yes
- Would you like to save these options as your defaults for future assignments. Yes
You can create rubrics in Turnitin, via the assignment page in Canvas.
Rubrics configured this way will appear only when you are in the Turnitin assignment. They will not appear in the Canvas Speedgrader.
To use a Canvas rubric with a Turnitin assignment, you will need to use the following workaround to add the rubric, since the "Add Rubric" button does not appear for External Tool assignments.
- Create your assignment, but instead of selecting "External Tool" from Submission Type, choose "Online".
- Save the assignment.
- Click on the "Add Rubric" button, and select the desired rubric.
- Edit the assignment settings again, and change Submission Type from "Online" to "External Tool".
- Follow the rest of the directions for completing the Turnitin assignment configuration.