Course Templates in Simple Syllabus allow users in a Designer role to enter information onto a syllabus template (such as Materials) that will propagate onto section-level syllabi for a course.
A department administrator can request access to Course Templates for themselves or another designated user by emailing the following information to [email protected]:
- Designated user’s name and ACES ID (for example: Lia Moore-Lamm, llamm2)
- College and department the courses are assigned to (SPC’s Communication and Learning)
- List of course templates they will need access to (EDUC-1300, EDUC-1301, EDUC-2301, ENGL-1301, etc.)
In Simple Syllabus, a Course Template is generated for each part-of-term a course is offered at a college, signified by the college's acronym in the course information.
When a Designer enters information into the Course Template that is offered for the earliest part-of-term, it will automatically "roll" the content forward to the Course Templates for subsequent parts-of-term for the current semester—and future semesters.
In the example below, EDUC-1300 courses are offered in four different parts-of-term at SPC, and entering the course materials into the Spring 2023 Wintermester template will propagate the items onto the templates for the Full Term, Start II--14 Week Session, and 8 Weeks Flex II Session.
A Course Template will not be generated for a course until at least one section has been scheduled in the current or upcoming semester.
Unless it is requested, Designers will only be provided access to the Course Template that is listed for the earliest part-of-term.
Once the Designer role has been assigned to a user, they can log into Simple Syllabus and access the Course Template(s) from the Course Template link [A] in the navigation bar, then select the part-of-term when the course will first be offered from the Term picklist [B].
Course Template Designers have access to enter information into the following components:
- Materials Component - Adding items to the list will add the items to the top of any entries instructors add at the section-level. (In other words: it will not overwrite the information instructors add to the syllabus before template edits have been made and submitted.)
- Evaluation, Course Policies, and the 2nd Schedule Content Components - Unless it's left blank by the Designer, adding information to these components will overwrite the information Instructors may have entered and submitted at the section-level before the template edits were submitted. (This includes content that may have rolled forward from a previous semester.)
- Any additional content components the Departmental Template Editor may have created and provided editing access to the Designer to input information.
Select the Edit button [pencil icon] next to the Course Template to begin entering the information. Enter the information you would like to populate onto the section-level syllabi for instructors. Once you are finished, Submit the Course Template to propagate the information onto syllabi for the current and future part-of-terms.
Entering information into the content components (i.e., Evaluation, Course Policies, and Schedule) will overwrite any information instructors may have input prior to the Course Template being submitted. Therefore, it is recommended you make any necessary edits to the Course Template well before the Course Template deadline.
Because Simple Syllabus is currently set to notify instructors to complete any unpublished syllabi 7 days out from the start of class, Course Template editing permissions will be restricted 8 days before the part-of-term's start.
For questions or assistance with editing a Course Template, please contact [email protected].