Migrate a Classic Quiz Question Bank to a New Quiz Item Bank
Question Banks in Classic Quizzes are flexible tools for helping you build assessments. Canvas is developing a process to migrate Question Banks into Item Banks automatically. However, in the meantime, additional steps are needed in order to migrate a Question Bank in Classic Quizzes, into an Item Bank in New Quizzes.
1. Navigate to Quizzes in your course containing the Question Banks you wish to migrate.
2. Click "+Quiz" and create a Classic Quiz. (If the menu below does not appear when you click +Quiz, click on the 3-dots Options button and choose "Reset Quiz Engine Choice.")
3. Go to the Questions tab in the newly created quiz.
4. Click on "Find Questions."
5. Find the Question Bank you wish to migrate, and then click on "Select All." Scroll through the list to verify that all the questions are selected if it is a very large question bank (fifty questions or more).
6. Scroll down to the "Add questions to the question group" option and select "New Group" from the drop-down menu.
7. In the "Add a New Question Group" interface, enter a group name, set the "Pick" option to match the totay. number of selected questions, and set a point value. The point value you set here will be applied to all of the questions. You will be able to change it after the import is complete.
8. Click "Create Group," then "Add Questions," and then click "Save" at the bottom of the screen. (You do not need to publish this test.)
9. Go to your course's Settings section, and then select "Export Course Content."
10. Set the export type to Quiz, and then choose the quiz you created using the above steps. Your new Item Bank will contain all of the questions from this quiz in a single bank, although you will be able to move them afterwards.
11. You will see a "Processing..." bar and animation. When the export is complete, you will see a "New Export" link. Click the link and save the file to your computer.
Video Tutorial: Export a question bank from Classic to New Quizzes
Import a Classic Quiz Question Bank to a New Quiz Item Bank
12. Go to your Quizzes section and create a new, blank Quiz using the New Quizzes engine.
13. Once you have created the quiz, go to the Options menu (see below) and select "Manage Item Banks."
14. From the "Manage Banks" screen, click the blue "+Bank" button.
15. Enter a title for your new item bank, and click "Create Bank".
16. Click on the title of the newly created Item Bank.
17. In this screen, go up to the three-dots Options menu in the upper right corner and select "Import Content."
18. You will be presented with this interface. Click and drag, or Browse, for your saved export file.
19. Once you have found the file you will see a screen like this. Click "Import."
20. You will see a screen like this, showing your imported questions. They are now ready to use! You can click on "Return".
Points to remember:
- You can put as many Question Banks into a single export file as you would like. However, each Import option for an Item Bank can only be done once.
- The title of the original Classic Quiz will overwrite the initial title of the Item Bank. You can edit it later.
- Item Banks are associated with your account in Canvas, not with individual courses. If you have set up tests to draw randomly from your own Item Banks, you will want to be careful with editing or deleting that Item Bank.
Video Tutorial: Import a Classic Quiz Question Bank to a New Quiz Item Bank
For additional assistance with Canvas, visit the Canvas related Guides or contact your campus Instructional Innovation Center/Distance Learning department.