Instructor: Using Respondus to Upload Quizzes to Canvas
1. Download the most current version of Respondus from Alamo Share and install it on your computer.
- NOTE: If you are trying to install Respondus on your work computer, you may need to call your college IT department to complete the install.
2. Choose "Instructure Canvas" as the Current Personality.
3. Open a pre-existing quiz, create a new quiz, import questions from a text file (View "Standard Format for Importing Question" in the Respondus Help Guide for assistance), or use the Test Bank Network to retrieve quiz questions associated with the textbook adopted for your course.
4. Go to the Preview & Publish tab
- Click on Publish to Canvas
- Click on the Publish Wizard
- The first time you do this, you'll need to set up the Canvas connection:
- Next to Canvas Server, choose "add a new server"
- Choose "Yes, check for preconfigured server settings" and click Next
- Name the server (something like Alamo Colleges District) and enter your login info (this is your ACES login information); click Next to run a test connection to the server.
- Verify the test connection was successful, and click Next to finish the setup process.
- Some users may experience issues with the preconfigured settings and will need to setup a manual connection instead. To do this, choose "No, I want to enter the server settings manually"
Enter https://alamo.instructure.com/ in to Section #2 and click "Extract". (NOTE: You must include the "/" as part of the URL. The Extract will fail without it.) Name your server profile and enter your ACES login information.
- Thereafter, you'll just need to choose the server you setup from the Canvas Server drop-down, and click Next
- Choose whether you're adding the questions as a Graded Quiz or a Question Bank, give it a name, and click Next
- Choose the course you are adding the Quiz to
- NOTE: Choose the course folder. Do not click on the name of a particular quiz in that course.
- Click Next.
- Wait until you see the line "Publish Completed Successfully", and then click Finished.
5. Go into Canvas, and go to the course your quiz was sent to. You should see it in your Quizzes as an unpublished quiz (or if you sent it as a question bank, you will need to go to Manage Question Banks to see it).