Once a syllabus has been edited or submitted by an instructor, its contents will automatically "roll" (or propagate) to other syllabi for the same course. However, you may want to replace all of the information you entered into another syllabus, or there may be specific components you may want to import from a syllabus.
If you previously edited or submitted another syllabus of the same course in Simple Syllabus, the most recent syllabus content will automatically populate onto the current syllabus. However, if you would like to start from a different syllabus than the one that auto-populated, you can use the tool's syllabus Replacement feature to select a different syllabus to import.
To begin, navigate to the syllabus you want to replace the content in, and select the Edit button [pencil icon] to the left.
- Once the publisher opens, select Replace with a different Syllabus? to choose another syllabus to copy from.
- Use the Term and Search fields to narrow down the results, then select the course to replace your syllabus content with.
You cannot revert a syllabus back to its previous version once the replacement has processed, so verify you have the correct Term, Course, and Section before you select it.
If the syllabus content you wish to replace is from a syllabus submitted by a different instructor—or you want to select specific components to replace from one of your other syllabi—use the Import feature to locate the syllabus in the Syllabus Library.
Replacing the syllabus will overwrite all of the components that are editable by instructors at the section level. These include:
- Instructor Information
- Course Policies
The other components that are edited at the District, College, and department levels will not be impacted when the content is replaced with a different syllabus.
The Import tool allows you to import content from any syllabus from Spring 2023 or later.
To begin, navigate to the syllabus you want to import content into, and select the Edit button [pencil icon] to the left.
Once the publisher opens, select the Import button in the upper left.
A three-step dialog window will appear:
- Select Source: Use the available search fields to locate and select the syllabus you wish to import content from. It can be one of your own syllabi you have edited or submitted previously, or a syllabus that has been published by another instructor.
Map Content: Choose which content from the syllabus you'd like to import:
- You can import all content by selecting the Finalize button; or
- You can specify content to import by enabling the Advanced slider and choosing which components to import and which ones to ignore. Click the Finalize button once you've made your selections.
If you specify which content to import, it is recommended that you Do not import the other instructor's information. Otherwise, it will add their contact information to your syllabus.
- Confirm Import: Preview and verify each component you'll be importing from the selected syllabus, then select the Start import of the following content button.
A blue check mark will appear for each component once it has finished processing, and you'll be able to Close the dialog window to view and edit the imported content.
After finalizing your changes to the imported content, Submit the document to publish the syllabus.
For technical assistance with using the replacement and importing feature, contact Simple Syllabus Support.