Scheduling a Zoom Meeting in Canvas
After you have created your Zoom account in Canvas, you can start using the Zoom link in Canvas to host meetings your students.
To begin, click on the Zoom link in your Course Navigation. Then click Schedule a New Meeting.
When scheduling your meeting, you have many options to choose from. You must set a Topic (1) and when your meeting will occur (3-4). The other settings are set by default, but they can be changed.
- Fill in the topic/title of your meeting.
- Provide an optional description.
- Enter the date/time of your meeting.
- Select the duration.
NOTE: Your session will not end at the duration you have set. If you go over the allotted time, the meeting will continue.
- Choose the time zone of your meeting.
- If this is a Recurring meeting, select the box and fill in the parameters.
- Registration asks attendees to enter their name and contact information in order to attend your meeting (this is not recommended for meetings in Canvas).
- Choose whether you want the video to be on by default for hosts and participants.
- Select what type of audio you wish to allow (we suggest leaving this to both Telephone and Computer Audio).
- If you would like to, you can require a meeting password.
- You may opt to let your attendees join before you officially start the meeting.
- You may mute participants as they join the meeting.
- You have a personal meeting ID for your account. You can choose to use this for your meeting or not select this and a random ID will be generated. This is mainly for support purposes - students do not need to know the meeting ID to join.
- The waiting room will have a queue of attendees that are waiting to join the session. You can bring them into the session one at at time, or multiple at a time.
- The meeting can be recorded automatically for you. We do not recommend this. You can manually start the recording when you are ready.
- If you have another individual who needs to host the meeting with you, and they have a Zoom account, you may add them.
- You can either Save your Meeting or Cancel the Meeting creation.
NOTE: This is the instructor view of Zoom. Students cannot schedule meetings.