LockDown Browser Extension for Chromebook
LockDown Browser for Chromebook is now available as a final release. The Chromebook extension additionally supports the Respondus Monitor proctoring application.
If you have a class that uses Respondus LockDown Browser for testing and you would like to use this feature so that your students have the option to test on their Chromebooks, please follow the instructions under “Instructions for Teachers.” Students with Chromebooks will need to install a LockDown Browser for Chrome extension, so please make sure to share the “Instructions for Students” with your class.
Instructions for Teachers:
Once you enable LockDown Browser to be used for a quiz, the LockDown Browser for Chromebook quiz-level setting is also automatically enabled, just like how it's done with LockDown Browser for Windows and Mac.
Instructions for Students:
To install LockDown Browser for Chromebook:
- Log in to the Chromebook and launch Google Chrome.
- Log in to Canvas and navigate to the exam that requires LockDown Browser.
- Select the Download Respondus LockDown Browser link to initiate software download and installation.
4. From the Chrome web store, select Add to Chrome to install the LockDown Browser Extension.
5. An"Add LockDown Browser?" pop-up window will display; select Add Extension.
6. The LockDown Browser for Chromebook extension has been installed.
7. Restart your Chromebook.
8. Navigate to the quiz or exam in Canvas to continue.
Limitations and/or known issues with LockDown Browser for Chromebook as of January 20:
- Quiz passwords (specified via the "optional password" field in the LockDown Browser Dashboard) aren’t currently supported.
- LockDown Browser’s Calculator and Spreadsheet features aren’t currently supported.
- The extended keyboard functions (for adding symbols and special characters) isn’t currently available
- LockDown Browser’s “Help Center” is currently unavailable.
- "Allow access to specific external web domains" option is currently not supported.
- (Canvas) “Google Chrome OS can’t open this page” error will occur. Click the "close" button on the error, and you should be able to proceed.
- Exam feedback for "classic" quizzes is not compatible yet, if viewed at a later time. Feedback is viewable if seen in the same LockDown Browser session that the exam was taken in.