ACES General Overview: Employee
ACES is a secure portal that provides students, faculty, and staff with access to various applications using a single sign-on. This guide will provide a general overview for new employees.
The ACES Home tab will be the first screen you see after you have logged into the portal. Employees frequently access the following applications and resources:
- The Email link in the upper right will open the Outlook Web Application which allows you to check/send email from your @alamo.edu email address. If you are a former student, you may see two links for email; select the second one titled "Email" for your employee account:
- Select the My Account link in the event you need to change your ACES password.
- The Canvas Student Resources portlet provides access to your Canvas Dashboard and other helpful resources for the learning management system. Faculty and students will have automatic access to Canvas upon course scheduling/registration. Staff and administrators who require access to Canvas should contact their college's IIC/Distance Learning department to have a Canvas user profile generated.
- Find Emergency Contacts for the Alamo Colleges District, including the phone numbers for the Department of Public Safety (DPS) dispatch and emergencies. Best practice is to add these numbers to your list of phone contacts.
Also found on the ACES Home tab:
- Self-Service for Former Users - Clicking on the Web Services link will open a new tab or window where you can access many Banner self-services.
- Sign Out - Securely end an ACES session by selecting the Sign Out link in the upper right. Sessions will automatically sign the user out (or "timeout") after 60 minutes of inactivity. A 5-minute warning will display at the top of the page prior to the session timing-out, allowing users to extend the session if they choose.
The ACES Employee tab provides links to many applications, guides, and resources used by faculty and staff. Employees frequently access the following:
- Clicking on the Web Services link located in the Web Services portlet will open a new tab or window where you can access many Banner self-services.
- Access the Alamo College District Web Conferencing portal – Zoom – and additional user guides.
- Register for employee development courses across the District, access online training for faculty and staff, and complete performance evaluations online in AlamoTalent.
Also found on the ACES Employee tab:
- AlamoLeave - Put in for extended leave or FMLA; consult your supervisor for requesting time off for vacation or appointments.
- DPS Forms - Access ID Badge forms and replacement information.
Facilities Service Request - Request building maintenance and housekeeping services.
- Emergency Contacts: Maintenance Hotlines - Report a maintenance issue that needs immediate attention; best practice is to add the number for your location into your list of phone contacts so you can quickly report a hazard.
- FootPrints - Submit an Information Technologies (IT) Help Desk ticket for technical support or service requests for Center for Student Information (CSI) or Public Relations (PR).
- Technology Deals - Download and install Microsoft Office365 <insert hyperlink to guide> on up to 5 devices with a Windows operating system.
- Web Time Entry - View time sheet due dates and guides for submitting/approving employee time sheets.
The ACES Faculty tab is only accessible to instructors and provides links to many applications, guides, and resources used by faculty. Instructors frequently access the following:
- Clicking on the Web Services link located in the Faculty Self Service portlet will open a new tab or window where you can access many Banner self-services.
- View and acknowledge your current Faculty Load and Compensation (FLAC) in the Faculty Compensation Acknowledgment portlet.
- Reference the Faculty Resources portlet for guides on faculty processes, academic forms, and important semester information.
- Access and edit current eSyllabi in the Concourse Syllabus Management System portlet. Individual syllabi are also found in the "Course Syllabus" link in the course navigation menu of each of your assigned Canvas course shells; view the "Introduction to Concourse - eSyllabus Training Guide" link for more information.
Also found on the ACES Faculty tab:
- Faculty180 Portfolio/Evaluation System - Full-time instructors can access the Faculty180 portal to create and submit a portfolio for evaluation by their chair and peer(s).
- Instructional Technology Resources - Review guides and access technical support for enterprise-wide instructional technologies available to employees throughout the Alamo Colleges District.
- Professional Enrichment Resources - Find information for Faculty Development workshops/resources and locate login credentials to access training modules from membership-based higher education professional development organizations.
The ACES My Courses tab is only accessible to instructors and students. From the My Courses tab, users can:
- Select the current, previous, or upcoming Term from the drop down menu.
- Access the Canvas course Home Page [house icon] for the registered course. If a student receives an error message when trying to access the course, they may not be able to connect for the following reasons:
- If it is before the listed start date for the course;
- If the instructor has not published the course in Canvas; or
- If the student is listed in the ACES Summary Class List but not the Canvas Roster.
- Configure [tool icon] the LMS configuration for the course to direct the course home page link to go to Canvas or stay within the Luminis site. Default setting for all courses is Instructure Canvas (IC) which will link all users to the Canvas course home page for the listed course.
- Email [envelop icon] the instructor for the listed course.